Thursday, December 9, 2010

grandmother

"papa, i want to ask you something!"

"what's that,son!"

"hope you will not misunderstand!"

"ok, i will take it with open mind. pl tell me."

"papa, when i was a boy

you allowed me to choose my own books

my own clothes

my toys

my friends

you gave me the freedom to eat what i liked

you allowed me to do what i wanted to do

you gave me the freedom to say no to what i didn't want to

you even allowed me to choose my own religion

you allowed me to choose my own career

you allowed me to choose my life partner

you allowed me the freedom of thought and expression

you allowed me to have my own point of view....

now i want to ask you for more...

i am fed up with the state of affairs in the country

i am in deep pain to see the state of rot

and the extent of it!

i don't see any silver lining for as long as i can see

i have just one life

i don't want to waste it

so,

will you allow me one more time

to choose the country of my choice to live my life?

i will keep coming every month to meet you

afterall the jets can take us anywhere in a matter of hours!

also, you can come and stay with me"

---

the father went silent

this was the toughest question he had ever faced in his life as a parent.

he couldn't say "yes"

he didn't want to say "no"

the son gave his father some alone moments to find out the correct answer

to a life changing question!

---

afer remaining silent for what seemed like ages

father asked

"son, this land is like your mother!"

"but papa! the world is like my grandmother!"

No comments:

Post a Comment